Monday, January 18, 2010

Operation Intersection - FAILED

Ran into a bit of an issue trying to intersect a helix with a series of stacked planes. Here's the setup: in 3D space I built a helix that made one rotation about a vertical axis while rising 2000' (the current height of my tower). Along this axis I set a series of 20 horizontal planes, each offset 100' from the previous one. I then started the Intersection tool and picked the helix a the first element and one of the planes as the second element. This went along fine and dandy until I hit plane #11, which is at the vertical midpoint of the helix. That's when I got an error message claiming there was no solution for that operation. Any thoughts?

I have feeling the error has something to do with the little orange point that can just be seen above the "Helix.1/Twist Setup/Part2" label

Here's the error message.


An animation of the steps I went through to make the intersection (I did these exact same steps for the other 19 planes, and they all worked).

No comments:

Post a Comment